Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lessons from my 30's (Part 1 - Couple Friends)

In my neck of the woods a lot of people, especially those in their 30s it seems like to gather together to watch football, fights, play cards or what have you. In reality this is usually code for come over and lets drink a few. I have participated in this more than once and almost every time that little angel on my shoulder whispered "not the best idea", but as usual the little devil was a little louder. Now don't get me wrong, I had fun and was never ever a wallflower. And every now and then I would probably load up and go again but it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

The lesson I learned by taking part in, as well as sitting back watching and listening to stories from these gatherings (because NOTHING IS PRIVATE PEOPLE) is that too much of that kind of fun in mixed company is dangerous. It is dangerous to your relationships with your friends and your spouse. When people let their guard down, especially in the way alcohol can allow you to do, they show a side to themselves that most don't see day in and day out and to some that side is pretty dang attractive. And there the seed is planted.

Take these ingredients:

1 - Hot day at the ballpark
2 - Grandparents willing to take the kids to spend the night
3 - Cases of Beer
2 - Bottles of Jager
3 - Bottles of Wine
10/12 - 30-somethings of mixed gender and personality
4 - of those who are irritated at their spouse
1 - stereo with music to get you moving
6 - wives who want to dance
8 - husbands who don't
10 - horny husbands
8 - wives who hate it for them
0 - strangers in a bar to unite you in freak watching

Mix them all together and throw them into one couple's home. You have just made a good batch of potential trouble. The "Done" signal might not go off in the oven immediately, but the oven's on preheat somewhere.

Since I am the queen of different viewpoints, I know this is not always the case and it's obviously just an opinion I have formed over time. I have stories to back up this theory, or lesson as I have deemed it. I am sure you have them as well. But as lessons go, they are meant to teach you something. What they taught me is I that the times to participate in these were lost when I looked around and my children were older and my friends children were older and they were watching. So was everyone else. How did I feel about what they were saying they saw? Did I care what people thought? Yes! And exactly when the heck did that happen?? In my 30's! I cared because it reflected on my children. And the gossip that stems from these situations is like the Rumor Weed in the old Vegi-Tales kids movies. The weeds are just too fast and furious to control. When it comes down to it, they are just too hard to fight and totally not worth it. Life throws enough battles, why create more for ourselves?

As I have said before I am full of good advice that I don't heed. My life is full of daily battles that I hide well, to some at least. Still the desire is always there to keep someone from repeating your mistakes and the only way to do that is to share your life, flaws and all with the girlfriends you love.

2 comments:

  1. Secrets to the grave honey, secrets to the grave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this was like reading my own life story of the 30's. I'm so glad I got my act together and realized the dangers of that lifestyle.

    I agree with you. What we do as parents does reflect on our kids. Also kids pick up on everything. They see and hear all. You will never know about it until they become parents. Then they love to share their stories and watch your squirm. Isn't it funny we tell our kids: You are who you associate with. Just think what better parents we would be if we followed our own advice.

    ReplyDelete

Followers